Record Details

NHER Number:15771
Type of record:Building
Name:Odd Nos 11 to 21 Bridewell Street


Nos 11 to 21 are a range of timber-framed houses with jettied first floors, thought to have been built together around 1620. They may contain timbers reused from pre-fire buildings, or they may even have partially survived the fire.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 1116 0148
Map Sheet:TG10SW

Full description

December 1950. Listed Grade II.

February 1980. Field Observation.
Visited by E. Rose (NAU).
Row of 16th-/17th-century jettied houses, plastered over. No 11 has the jetty underbuilt in brick. No 15 has a large chimney (rebuilt) at one end.
Compiled by E. Rose (NAU), 13 February 1980. Information from record card (S1).
Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 21 March 2022.

Revised listing 1994 (S2) states that east gable wall is a 19th-century rebuild with doorcase. Interior has sunk quadrant bridging beams but in No 21 beam has roll mouldings and rolled soffit idents. Winding stair by stacks. Expanded principal studs and corner tension braces. Roof of two tiers butt purlins, the upper tier clasped by cambered collars.
Compiled by E. Rose (NLA), 3 May 1994.

The listing also says that the houses were rebuilt after the fire of 1616. A beam under the carriage arch between Nos 9 and 11 is said to continue into No 11 and has roll moulding and sunk chamfer of good 16th-century type. Taken with the reference to other roll moulded beams, does this indicate that in fact the house is partly pre-fire, the timbers were reused, or that the style is retarded?
Compiled by E. Rose (NLA), 22 September 1998.

February 2006. Field Observation.
It was noted that between Nos 15 and 17 there is a change of roof height and a slight change of alignment and that nos 17, 19 and 21 have a slightly lower jetty. No 15 has a gable stack against no 17; 17-21 have a bell based roof. 17-21 have rear catslides.
The interior of no 17 was examined. The ground floor has good Edwardian fireplaces but is otherwise featureless and the stairs are in the rear addition. The first floor has later subdivisions. The partition wall to no 15 contains a tiebeam with a jowled post at the south end; both post and beam have mortices for an arched brace but the remainder of the beam is boarded over. At the centre of the main room is a bridging joist with crude pyramidal stops. The south end has a slot mortice in the underside against the wall; a stud below it has a mortice lower down below a window, but it is unlikely these two are connected – there is no slot at the other end of this beam.
The roof (seen from below) has two pairs of reduced principals with arched collars but the clasped purlins look like later replacements. A brick gable was glimpsed between nos 15 and 17, but the wall between 17 and 21 is of breezeblocks.
These details suggest that nos 11-15 and 17-21 were originally separate buildings or groups of buildings; nos 17 and 21 certainly seem to have been one at first floor level. However the List description suggests both groups have 16th century style timbers – it is still not apparent whether the buildings were only partly damaged by the fire or whether timbers were reused.
E. Rose (NLA), 28 February 2006.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (17th Century to 21st Century - 1620 AD? to 2100 AD)
  • JETTIED HOUSE (17th Century to 21st Century - 1620 AD? to 2100 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (17th Century to 21st Century - 1620 AD? to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, B. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 805.
<S1>Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S2>Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1208495.

Related records

MNO4056Related to: 11-21 Bridewell Street WYMONDHAM (Revoked)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service