Record Details

NHER Number:15206
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of post medieval windmill


The site of a windmill, marked on a map of 1797.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 914 433
Map Sheet:TF94SW

Full description

Site of windmill. Marked on (S1), 1797.
E. Rose (NAU), 6 September 1979.

Post mill recorded 1714. Called New Mill 1813 (so rebuilt?). Demolished 1866.
E. Rose (NAU), 24 March 1982.

A modern copy of a map in the Holkham Archives, held at Westward House, Mill Road, Wells, shows this mill nearer to Mill Road to the north. Sale catalogues of 1810 refer to two postmills with French stones, and in 1864 to one postmill and one tower mill with two common and two patent sails. These refer both to site 15205 and this site and it is not known which mills are meant.
Comp. E.Rose 15 May 1995.

Monument Types

  • WINDMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S1>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service