Record Details

NHER Number:15056
Type of record:Building
Name:Chapel Farm, The Street


A house probably dating to the 17th century, containing quantities of re-used medieval stone. This stone possibly came from Thetford Priory following the Dissolution, or from the demolished aisle of the parish church (NHER 5743).

Images - none


Grid Reference:TL 872 870
Map Sheet:TL88NE

Full description

4 July 1979. Visit.
Extreme north of village on east side of road.
17th century? House with reused medieval stone (Chapel Farmhouse). House, formerly row of cottages but originally one long house. Two storeys.
Stone and flint, set in alternate squares; quoins also of stone, much of which is tooled and all must be re-used.
Windows all altered but upper ones on south retain wider brick frames, also one on north side; and two blocked in west gable, all indicating 16th or 17th century date.
Did stone come from Thetford at the Dissolution, or is it from the demolished aisle at the parish church?
NB 19th century houses in village also have odd fragments of stone in them, but none appears worked.
Called Croxton Hall on (S1), 1797.
E. Rose (NAU).

(S2) lists as 18th century, with inspector [1] replying to NAU that there was no medieval stonework in the building.
However [2], Breckland District Council, when visiting during repairs to gable in 1987, notes that building, and adjacent yard wall, contains large quantities of reused 12th century Romanesque mouldings, later window mullions etcetera.

Confirmed date as 16th century; probably Dissolution material from Thetford.
Top of gable dated 1861, when roof slope altered. [3] confirmed (S2) description is 'totally inaccurate'.

Tradition states that the name of the farm comes from a monastic chapel, as recorded by (S3), but he says this was 'near the church'. See NHER 5743.
E. Rose (NLA), 18 July 2000.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 277.
<S1>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.
<S2>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1342787.
<S3>Serial: Blomefield, F.. 1805-1810. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk.. Volume Unknown.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service