Record Details

NHER Number:15055
Type of record:Building
Name:Croxton Park House


Several re-used medieval corbels have been noted in a mid 19th century building and a barn near to it. It is uncertain where these stones came from. This site is also believed to be the location of a medieval manor house which belonged to Thetford Priory.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TL 859 881
Map Sheet:TL88NE

Full description

Croxton Park is an early 18th century house with a seven-bay façade.
Information from (S1).
A. Cattermole (NLA), 7 July 2008.

July 1979. Visit.
Croxton Park has re-set medieval corbels. Two 14th/15th century head-corbels, grotesque, visible in the east gable wall of the original house which dates from around 1850. Another two similar corbels, much weathered, are visible in the south gable of a barn to the west of the house.
E. Rose (NAU), 4 July 1979.

These may be from a demolished aisle of a parish church, or perhaps brought from Thetford. An imitation '17th century' house of about 1910 has been built onto the front of the original house.
The house stands directly across line of Icknield Way (see NHER 1398) so the corbels on the house are in Croxton parish and those on the barn are in Thetford.
E. Rose (NAU), 9 July 1979.

A Croxton Park house is marked here on (S2).

Source [1] states that the house stands on the site of the manor house of Narwick or Silton manor, which was owned by Thetford priory. Does this indicate an origin for the stonework?
E. Rose (NLA), 4 December 1991.

Monument Types

  • FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • MANOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HOUSE (17th Century to 21st Century - 1700 AD? to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S1>Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 277.
<S2>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service