Record Details

NHER Number:15001
Type of record:Monument
Name:Arch, Narford Park

Summary

An arch is marked at this location on Faden's map of 1797. The arch is now hidden within Eyetrap Plantation.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 772 124
Map Sheet:TF71SE
Parish:NARFORD, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

'Arch' marked on (S1)
Presumably part of the original grounds of hall before landscaping.
E. Rose (NAU), 1 June 1979.

(S2) states that in fact the arch still remains, further south, hidden in Eyetrap Plantation.
See NHER 30473 for its history.
E. Rose (NLA), 10 October 2000.

(S3) has obelisk.
E. Rose (NLA), November 2001.

The obelisk is not shown in this location on (S3). Instead, it is shown at NHER 4012.
D. Robertson (NLA), 23 December 2008.

Monument Types

  • ARCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • OBELISK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S1>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.
<S2>Monograph: Williamson, T.. 1998. Archaeology of the Landscape Park: Garden Design in Norfolk, England, c. 1680-1840.. BAR (British Series). Vol 268. p 266.
<S3>Map: Bryant, A.. 1826. Bryant's Map of Norfolk.

Related records

30473Part of: Narford Park (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service