Record Details

NHER Number:14667
Type of record:Building
Name:The Dutch House, formerly Walnut Farm, Staithe Road


A late 17th century two storey house in chequered brickwork with Dutch gables.The front of the house has six window bays and a central doorway. The rear has several small extensions and there is an 18th century extension to the north.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 3888 1772
Map Sheet:TG31NE

Full description

March 1979. Visit.
House, late 17th century. Chequered brickwork.
Six bays, two storeys divided by string course. Shaped gables. Wooden cross-windows, and small ones (some blocked) in gables. Later doorway. Tiled roof. Rear extension with windvane.
E. Rose (NAU), 16 March 1979.

Listing Grade I (S1) names as Dutch House (1986) of about 1700 but 'confusingly dated with iron letters 1603, third symbol Greek letter phi' (but surely this is in fact 1683, the third symbol being an 8? E. Rose).

(S1) dates doorcase to late 18th century as it does the windows. Internal gable stacks and offcentre ridge stack.
One 18th century north wing out of several additions.
Interior has original fireplace with header bond brick and truncated bressumer; upper fireplaces have hollow and rollmoulded surrounds. Roof of two tiers butt purlins; collars lap jointed into principals.
E. Rose (NAU), 3 November 1986.

Illustrations from (S2) in file.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 604.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1049914.
<S2>Publication: Messent, C. J. W. 1928. The Old Cottages and Farm-houses of Norfolk. p 25.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service