Record Details

NHER Number:14609
Type of record:Building
Name:The Old Manor, The Chase


This building was ruinous until restoration in 1985 to 1986 by Bernard Crowson. It began life around 1500, and there is evidence that the earliest part was a timber-framed house jettied to the south. In 1638 it was extended in brick, presumably for Bernadas Frencham who was Rector between 1628 and 1661 and whose initials are marked on the south gable. All the early rooms in the eastern wing had first floors, and so this house represents a very early storeyed building, breaking away from the hall-house tradition.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 5021 1704
Map Sheet:TF51NW

Full description

August 1951. Listed, Grade II*.
Listing Description:
Farmhouse. Dated 1638. Brick. No roof cladding at time of resurvey. T plan. 2 storeys and attic. West front on plinth course and with roll moulded set-off at first floor. In centre of front a large stepped external chimney stack bifurcating at base to form arched recess. First floor set-off continues round stack. Moulded set-off above eaves line interrupted by 20th century corbelled flue. Stack terminates in moulded cornice below 4 diamond flues with 20th century chimney pots. Stack gabled back to main roof slope. To left of stack one window each floor. Set-off at first floor continues into north and south returns with further roll moulded string course at eaves line. North gable with one blocked window each floor and window opening to attic. Gabled roof. South gable with blocked ground floor window to left of door in plain timber door case. Cross casement survives at first floor but in reduced opening below moulded hood on labels. In attic a recessed rectangular panel pierced to provide nesting boxes flanked by one cockshead panel right and left. In apex of gable head a recessed plaque beneath hood mould with labels bears numerals 1638 F C B and a four petalled flower motif. Cross wing extends to east, gabled and 2 of storeys. Set-off at first floor. South face mutilated. North face doorway blocked. 2 windows to first floor. East gable with blocked window to ground, 3-light casement to first floor. Interior. Gutted. No division between rooms. 4-centred hollow chamfered fireplaces in west walls of south ground floor and first floor rooms. North ground floor fireplace distroyed, first floor as before with additional punched spandrel decoration. 2 chamfered and jewel stopped bridging beams and double roll moulded joists. In cross wing 2 re-used bridging beams of c.1500 : multiple rolls and on lower face foliate ribbon motif. First floor bridging beams chamfered and jewel stopped. Roof of principals, collars and clasped purlins, many timbers renewed.
Information from (S1).

L-shaped brick house dated 1638, containing very elaborate carved beams of around 1500. Probably western end of H-shaped house; a timber framed building of around 1500 reclad and extended in brick 1638. East end demolished in 18th century. Derelict but under restoration in 1988.
(restoration now completed)
See reports in file.
(S2)-(S4) in file.
E. Rose (NAU), 10 February 1988.

Medieval jetton from site.

December 2004. Watching Brief.
Monitoring of groundworks for extension. Contexts 100-103 used.
No evidence of earlier foundations.
Large well found, probably post-medieval.
Medieval and post-medieval pottery sherds recovered from topsoil.
See report (S5) for further details.
The associated archive has been deposited with the Norwich Castle Museum (NWHCM : 2016.180).
J. Allen (NLA), 5 January 2005. Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 21 June 2019.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (15th Century to 21st Century - 1500 AD? to 2100 AD)
  • MANOR (15th Century to 21st Century - 1500 AD? to 2100 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (15th Century to 21st Century - 1500 AD? to 2100 AD)
  • WELL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD?)

Associated Finds

  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • TOKEN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 747-748.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Photograph: BDV, BDX, EGH 26-32.
---Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1994-1995. [Sale advertisement for The Old Manor, Walpole St Peter].
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1995. [Sale advertisement for The Old Manor, Walpole St Peter]. 27 January.
---Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1991. Two with interesting tales [Sale advertisement for Old Hall, South Wootton and The Old Manor, Walpole St Peter]. 8 October.
---Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-[2000]. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1237330.
<S2>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1979. Bid to save Fenland house. 3 November.
<S3>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1984. [Articles on the restoration work at The Old Manor, Walpole St Peter].
<S4>Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1987. Order to buy house is 'too late' says owner. 28 July.
<S5>Unpublished Contractor Report: Hobbs, B. P. 2005. An Archaeological Watching Brief at The Old Manor House, The Chase, Walpole St Peter, Norfolk. Norfolk Archaeological Unit. 1034.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service