Record Details

NHER Number:14547
Type of record:Building
Name:East Hall


East Hall stands on the site of an earlier shepherd's cottage. The house is shown on a map made in 1631 and is described in the parliamentary survey 1649 as 'of competent largeness' with barns. The present flint and carstone building is basically 17th century. The building was originally thatched. It was damaged by fire in 1942 and the interior has been rebuilt. Pieces of medieval and post medieval pot have been found in the grounds.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 7249 3713
Map Sheet:TF73NW

Full description

East Hall stands on the site of the medieval manor house of Gnattington deserted medieval village according to [1]. This would tie in with [2]'s claimed site for the village at site NHER 1618, but is some way from the excavated site at site NHER 1607.

June 1979. Visit.
Present building is basically 17th century. South wall of flint, two storeys with traces of brick surrounds to former doors and windows, and two small windows above each other blocked in brick. These also occur in west gable which has a large chimney rising from a fireplace inside. Height of gable shows roof formerly thatched. Present windows etc and overall form of house is of around 1800; whitewash over exterior makes details difficult to follow. Interior gutted by previous owners - or, it is said, by fire 1942. Original well, now filled in, was at rear of house; that marked by Ordnance Survey at front is a borehole.
E. Rose (NAU), 6 June 1979.

Sherds found by occupants (present) in grounds include two Westerwald rims, one figured stoneware sherd, much porcelain mostly recent but some could be 18th century. Foundations reported in dry trench at front of house seem only to be recent brick drains.

See (S1) for reproduction of (S2) showing site as 'Scite of Manour'. House is post 1620, previously a shepherds cottage.
See (S1).
E. Rose (NAU), 25 July 1984.

The 1649 parliamentary survey describes a house 'of competent largeness' with barns etc.
See (S3).

Summer 2003. Sedgeford Historical and Archaeological Research Project. Building Survey.
Probable 17th century house. Extensions added in 18th, 19th and 20th centuries.
Information from (S4).
M. Dennis (NLA), 23 October 2006.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • MANOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1342294.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1992. Tudor treasure hall. 19 May.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Serial: June 1984. NARG News.. No 37.
<S2>Map: 1631. Le Strange Estate Map of Sedgeford.
<S3>Publication: Wade-Martins, S. & Williamson, T.. 1999. Roots of Change. p 84.
<S4>Archive: Sedgeford Historical and Archaeological Research Project Archive.

Related records

43355Related to: Earthworks of medieval to post medieval enclosure boundary banks (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service