|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of Croxton Hospital|
The hospital was founded in 1250 for the benefit of the poor on land given by Richard de Surrie. It was dependant on Domus Dei (NHER 5750) at Thetford. At the Dissolution of the monasteries the lands were given to Sir Roger de Fulmodeston, who founded a school and hospital at Thetford to replace it. It is unclear if the hospital was at Croxton by Fulmodeston or Croxton near Thetford.
Images - none
Founded in 1250 on land given by Richard de Surrie. Dependant on Domus Dei, Thetford, having only three monks. For poor people. At dissolution lands given to Sir Roger de Fulmodeston, who founded a school and hospital at Thetford to replace it. This information is from (S1), followed by (S2).
(S1) insists it is Croxton by Fulmodeston that is meant rather than Croxton near Thetford; though the latter would seem more probable in view of the connection with the Thetford institutions, presumably he is going on the grant to the Fulmodeston family.
- HOSPITAL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 93 SE 14. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Publication: Messent, C. J. W. 1934. The Monastic Remains of Norfolk and Suffolk. p 18. |
|<S2>||Publication: Knowles, D. and Hadcock, R. N. 1971. Medieval Religious Houses of England and Wales. pp 319, 354. |
Related records - none
Find out more...