Record Details

NHER Number:14523
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of post medieval windmill


A windmill was situated just south of the surviving granary as indicated on the Ordnance Survey 6 inch map of 1891. This was a tower mill of 1827 which replaced a Post mill. It was demolished in 1896.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 6941 0747
Map Sheet:TF60NE

Full description

Site of wind mill, marked on Faden's map 1797 (S1) as Fincham Windmill, though just over modern parish boundary.
E. Rose (NAU) 1978.

There is a possible very slight rise at this point in the field as if of a ploughed out millmound.
E. Rose (NAU) 7 August 1980.

Marked on (S2). Replaced by a tower mill in 1827.
Demolished 1896 according to informant.
E. Rose (NAU) 23 March 1982.
Marked on first edition Ordnance Survey. For full history see (S3)
S. Heywood (HES) 2 October 2013

Monument Types

  • WINDMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S1>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.
<S2>Map: Bowen, E.. 1749. A Map of the County of Norfolk.
<S3>Website: Neville, J.. 2007. Shouldham Mill Farm towermill. 31 May 2017.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service