Record Details

NHER Number:14521
Type of record:Monument
Name:Undated enclosure, site of post medieval gibbet and Roman or Saxon gold ring


Aerial photography shows the cropmarks of a square enclosure with two entrances. A gibbet is marked on a map of 1797. A large Roman or Saxon gold finger ring was found in 1965.

Images - none


Grid Reference:Not displayed
Map Sheet:TF60SE

Full description

Gibbet marked on Faden's map 1797 (S1).

6 July 1965. At same site.
A large gold finger-ring found here perhaps Saxon date, but is more probably Roman. Written on KLM 6 inch record map.
Information taken from (S2).
E. Rose (NAU), 6 October 1981.

Large gold finger ring, possibly Saxon, but probably Roman.
Information from Ordnance Survey Records.
R.J. Rickett (NAU), 7 March 1990.

RAF photograph, reference IRLS II RAF 4297, in possession of [1]. Shows very clear square or sub-square enclosure, with at least two entrances, one in centre of south side and the other in the southwest corner.
See photocopy in file.
D. Gurney (NLA), 15 October 1997.

Monument Types

  • ENCLOSURE (Unknown date)
  • SQUARE ENCLOSURE (Unknown date)
  • GIBBET (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • RING (Undated)
  • RING (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • RING (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
  • RING (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
  • RING (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Article in Serial: Whyte, N.. 2003. The Deviant Dead in the Norfolk Landscape.. Landscapes. Vol 4, No 1. pp 24-39.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.
<S2>Article in Serial: Wilson, D. M. and Hurst, D. G. 1967. Medieval Britain in 1965. Medieval Archaeology. Vol X pp 168-219. p 172.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service