Record Details

NHER Number:1452
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of medieval buildings and medieval finds


Medieval building material and architectural fragments, found in the 1950s, suggest that medieval buildings once stood on the site. Medieval tiles, pottery and a mortar have also been found.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 6855 3752
Map Sheet:TF63NE

Full description

2 fragments of gritstone rotary querns from north of Caley Mill.
On both banks of former course of Heacham River are extensive traces of buildings (chalk blocks, stone, hand made bricks, tiles), medieval sherds, animal bones. Tiles are both medieval and later. Several depressions in field, lower in some cases than old river bed.
E. Rose (NAU)

About 1980. At this approximate spot on river bank (but possibly thrown there by a farm worker).
Part of medieval stone mortar.
W. Milligan (NCM) 31 March 1988.

Monument Types

  • BUILDING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ANIMAL REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • BRICK (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • MORTAR (VESSEL) (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • QUERN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • TILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 63 NE 64.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Serial: 1959. Council for British Archaeology Group 7 Bulletin of Archaeological Discoveries for 1959. No. 6. p 4.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Heacham.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service