|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Panxworth Ironworks and mill|
This building was formerly the Panxworth Ironworks. It is very long and built from red brick with a single row of round-headed windows on the south side but lunettes above ordinary windows and doors on the north side. The west gable gives a date of 1869 in embossed brick and an ornate iron lamp holder is attached to the northeast corner of the building. The works closed in 1889 and on the south side of the road was a windmill, which was replaced by a steam mill in around 1880 when it was damaged by a gale.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 3507 1306|
|Parish:||WOODBASTWICK, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
Very long red brick building; on south side, single row of round-headed windows, but on north lunettes above ordinary windows and doors. West gable has 'Panxworth Ironworks 1869' in embossed brick over two round-headed windows above a large blocked opening.
Ornate iron lamp holder attached to northeast corner. Good condition.
Visited by E. Rose (NAU) 31 January 1979.
It was intended to bring a canal to this, but it was never done (Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society). Blocked opening was a showroom window. The works closed in 1889. On south side of road was a wind mill which was replaced by a steam mill in around 1880.
E. Rose (NAU) 16 September 1981.
This mill was a post mill shown on (S2), and destroyed by a gale 18 January 1881 - informant.
E. Rose (NAU) 24 September 1981.
Sources (S1-S6) in file.
- WINDMILL (16th Century to 19th Century - 1540 AD to 1880 AD)
- IRON WORKS (19th Century - 1869 AD to 1889 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Fiche: Exists. |
|<S1>||Article in Serial: Fewster, M.. 1981. Thomas Smithdale and Sons, Ironfounder. NIAS Journal. Vol III, No 1. |
|<S2>||Map: Bryant, A.. 1826. Bryant's Map of Norfolk. |
|<S3>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1997. [Sale advertisement for former foundry, Panworth]. 24 January. |
|<S4>||Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans. |
|<S5>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1997. Homes plan for foundry. 10 October. |
|<S6>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2000. [Photograph of the windmill and Red Lion, Panworth, taken in 1880]. 25 August. |
Related records - none
Find out more...