Record Details

NHER Number:14468
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of Burlingham Hall


This is the site of Burlingham Hall, an early 19th century house which was demolished in 1952. Walled gardens, a game larder and a stable block, now converted into a house, remain on the site.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 367 105
Map Sheet:TG31SE

Full description

Site of Burlingham Hall, demolished 1952.
Present owner has photostats of drawings in Norwich Library showing hall as early 19th century building on exterior at least, with two slightly projecting bays with rusticated quoins in each of main facades, south front rendered, and recessed bay in east or west wall with Ionic porch.
Present house made from brick stable block, well restored, with full length hay loft and 'Staffordshire blue brick stable floors'.
Game larder remains, brick tower-like structure with skeletons inside.
Photographs at house of vast conservatory of cast iron and glass. Site now marked by oval ring of iron heating pipes.
The well, said to have over 200 steps to bottom, was operated by a horse. A shed is now over the top.
Visited E. Rose (NAU) 31 January 1979.

August 2009.
See (S1) for details of a Victorian photograph of the site.
H. White, (NLA), 1 Spetember 2009

Monument Types

  • GAME LARDER (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • STABLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WALLED GARDEN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2009. Fabulous record of Norfolk's Victorian splendor. 22 August.

Related records

55630Related to: Parkland associated with Burlingham Hall (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2023 Norfolk Historic Environment Service