Record Details

NHER Number:14457
Type of record:Building
Name:Cromer Lighthouse


Cromer Lighthouse was built in 1833 to replace an earlier lighthouse to the north, which was lost to cliff erosion during the nineteenth century. The lighthouse is octagonal, with a circular lantern.


  • Cromer lighthouse.  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service


Grid Reference:TG 2302 4148
Map Sheet:TG24SW

Full description

1883, replacing one of 1719 that collapsed with cliff in 1866. Octagonal, with circular lantern.
Later 19th century wings.
The old lighthouse was a three storey tower of brick, a lantern with 15 lamps each in a copper reflector turned by clockwork every 5 and a half hours.
See (S1).
E. Rose (NLA) 26 January 1982.

S. White (NLA) notes a watercolour in her possession, and another in NCM Art Department, which show two lighthouses standing at the same time, one resembling the present one, the other tall and slender.

Faden's map shows only one lighthouse here (unlike Happisburgh), see (S2).

It is very difficult to locate tha position of the lighthouse shown on Bryant's map of 1826, see (S3), which seems to show it positioned on top of a cliff facing inland.
It seems as if the present lighthouse stands on the site of the Admiralty telegraph station marked by Bryant.
E. Rose (NLA), 1 May 2001.

The site has been extended to include the locations of the masts to TG 2301 4151 to TG 2302 4148.

January 1977. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description:
Built 1833. Fairly squat octagonal stuccoed tower with cornice balustrade, topped by circular lantern with a wind vane. 3 storeys plus the lantern, on alternate sides of octagon, windows, sashes, some with glazing bars, some blocked. Abutting wing of one storey to east and larger wing to south, both mid to late 19th century. The original lighthouse was built in 1719 but collapsed with the cliff in the sea in 1866.
Information from (S8).
H. Mellor (HES), 23 July 2018.

December 2004. Norfolk NMP.
The site of the Cromer lighthouse. The newspaper cutting referenced above (S4) states that the present lighthouse was constructed in 1833, not 1883 as stated above. It is also depicted on the 1835 Gunton Estate map as the 'New Lighthouse' (S5). This structure was built in 1833 to replace an earlier lighthouse to the north, which was lost to cliff erosion during the nineteenth century. A sketch dated to the 1830s shows the old and new lighthouses together on the cliffs prior to the earlier building's destruction (Picture Norfolk NP00000186) (S6).

Bryant's map of 1826 (S3) does not show telegraph station in position of present lighthouse, contrary to above NHER entry. The Telegraph station marked on the map appears to refer to a slightly different location to the north east. A series of earthworks at this point have been interpreted as the remains of the telegraph station, see NHER 38942 for details.

The site has been extended to include the location of the two masts which sit either side of the Lighthouse at TG 2301 4151 and TG 2301 4143, plus a small rectangular structure at TG 2301 4146, which are all visible on aerial photographs (S7).
S. Massey (NMP), 29 December 2004.

Monument Types

  • LIGHTHOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • LIGHTHOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • STRUCTURE (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1540 AD to 2100 AD)
  • TELEGRAPH STATION (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TG2341 A,B.
---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1995. TG 2341C - D.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 24 SW 11.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1997-1998. [Photographs of Cromer Lighthouse].
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2011. Work sheds light on spectacular town views. 19 August.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Monograph: Cromwell, T.. 1818. Excursions through Norfolk.
<S2>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.
<S3>Map: Bryant, A.. 1826. Bryant's Map of Norfolk.
<S4>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1980. Cromer light burns bright across the centuries. 20 February.
<S5>Map: James Wright. 1835. Overstrand 1835. Part of Gunton Estate Map (NRO Ref. Gunton Estate Coll. Wright Vol. 2 Map 122).
<S6>Illustration: Unknown. 183?. ‘New and old lighthouses at Cromer’ (Picture Norfolk NP00000186)..
<S7>Vertical Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1942. RAF AC/59 47-9 19-JUN-1942 (NMR).
<S8>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1171781.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service