Record Details

NHER Number:14440
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of St Mary's medieval chapel of ease


It is recorded that a chapel of ease, dedicated to St Mary, was founded near Swaffham by Earl of Richmond in 1304. It decayed after the Reformation, and the location of the site is unclear. It is suggested that NHER 24393 and NHER 24394 may be the site of this chapel, and that stone has been reused in St Mary's Barn.

Images - none



Full description

'1/2 mile from Swaffham' (which direction?)
Chapel of Ease, St Mary's, founded by Earl of Richmond 1304. Decayed after Reformation.
See (S1) (quoted Ordnance Survey card).
(S2) confirms above information but states it stood in the town.
Swaffham Museum suggests site NHER 24393 - foundations - and site NHER 24394 - reused stone in St Mary's Barn.
Compiled by E. Rose (NAU), 18 April 1988.

Monument Types

  • CHAPEL (14th Century to 16th Century - 1304 AD? to 1539 AD?)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 80 NW 21.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S1>Publication: Messent, C. J. W. 1931. The Ruined Churches of Norfolk. p 34.
<S2>Serial: 1819. Excursions through Norfolk. 2.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2023 Norfolk Historic Environment Service