Record Details

NHER Number:1444
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of possible medieval monastic cell or grange


A medieval monastic cell is reputed to have been founded by the Cluniac order in the 11th century. Earthworks banks were noted on the site in 1952.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 6770 3848
Map Sheet:TF63NE

Full description

1952. Northwest corner of Heacham Park.
Series of long low banks, some circular, some straight; one circular one was 9.1m (10yds) diameter.
Contained chalk walls according to C.H. Lewton-Braine.
Suggested site of Cluniac cell founded as alien after 1087 and made a cell in 1351 to 1374.
(S1) however suggests the site was between the church and the mill, but he is often wrong.
E. Rose (NAU)

Mansion and estates at Heacham included in an endowment to Lewes Cluniac Priory.
Listed as a possible grange by (S2), but [1] states that a cell was not established at Heacham.
Locally associated with Manor Farm.
See (S3).
R.J. Rickett (NAU) 6 February 1990.

Monument Types

  • BANK (EARTHWORK) (Unknown date)
  • CELL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CELL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Publication: Messent, C. J. W. 1934. The Monastic Remains of Norfolk and Suffolk. p 26.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Heacham.
<S1>Monograph: Bryant, J.. 1900. Norfolk Churches..
<S2>Publication: Knowles, D. and Hadcock, R. N. 1971. Medieval Religious Houses of England and Wales. pp 97, 99.
<S3>Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 63 NE 8 [2].

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service