Record Details

NHER Number:14372
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of post medieval inn and brickworks


This was the site of an inn called The Cock in the mid 16th century. By 1800 this was the site of a brickworks.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 9093 2918
Map Sheet:TF92NW

Full description

Site of inn called the Cock in 1543, then the Crane and Dragon, from 1721 the Woolhouse.
From 1800 a brickworks with tall chimney here (as marked on Ordnance Survey).
Clarence House built of the bricks from the yard.
Apart from this house nothing remains.
See (S1).

Monument Types

  • BRICKWORKS (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • INN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S1>Publication: Nicholson, V.. 1978. Hempton - a village community.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service