Record Details

NHER Number:1418
Type of record:Find Spot
Name:Upper Palaeolithic/Mesolithic and Neolithic worked flints, Gill's holding

Summary

Various worked flints were recovered from these fields between 1948 and 1951. These include an Upper Palaeolithic/Mesolithic microlith and a blade and many Neolithic flints, including axeheads, leaf arrowheads and many flakes and scrapers.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 682 364
Map Sheet:TF63NE
Parish:HEACHAM, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

1948-1951. Stray Find.
Various prehistoric worked flints found in and around copse on King's Lynn to Hunstanton Road, east of Mount Pleasant, near O.S spot height 69 (Mr Gill's Smallholding). Information from (S1). According to (S1) these flints included long flakes and rounded scrapers of honey coloured flint, axe, a leaf arrowhead of cream coloured flint (found at TF 6827 3652 according to (S2)) and a "nosed tool" that could be Mesolithic. These finds were mentioned in a short a short press article in 1950 (S3), which notes the discovery of "...two beautifully-worked leaf-shaped spear or arrow heads of the Neolithic Age…". This fullest list of the material recovered appears to be that in (S4), which describes the Gill holding as representing a Neolithic "settlement around the spring" (the site lies close to the source of the Heacham Common Drain). The finds are listed as comprising 2 axes, 1 adze (probably the object recorded separately as NHER 1414), 3 leaf-shaped arrowheads and many scrapers and flakes. Lewton-Braine made sketches of the three arrowheads (S5), which are accompanied by additional notes on the assemblage.

The present location of the bulk of this material is unknown, although a somewhat indecipherable note on (S1) would appear to indicate that material from this site is held by one of the York museums. Three pieces from this site were given to the King's Lynn Museum by Lewton-Brain in 1963 (KILLM : 1963.71.2-4). These flints appear to be Mesolithic or earlier in date, being listed in (S6) as 1 blade, 1 microlith and 1 miscellaneous piece. In his personal records R. Jacobi (who catalogued this material) described the microlith as a trapezoidal backed and bi-truncated blade of possible Creswellian date (i.e. Upper Palaeolithic). Information from (S7).

Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 16 December 2013.

Monument Types

  • FINDSPOT (Upper Palaeolithic - 40000 BC to 10001 BC)
  • FINDSPOT (Mesolithic - 10000 BC to 4001 BC)
  • FINDSPOT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)

Associated Finds

  • MICROLITH (Upper Palaeolithic - 40000 BC to 10001 BC)
  • RETOUCHED BLADE (Mesolithic - 10000 BC to 4001 BC)
  • AXEHEAD (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
  • FLAKE (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
  • LEAF ARROWHEAD (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
  • SCRAPER (TOOL) (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Serial: Norfolk Research Committee. 1950. Archaeological Research in Norfolk. Archaeological Newsletter. Vol 3 No 2 pp 38-39. p 39.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Neolithic. Heacham.
<S2>Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 63 NE 29 [2].
<S3>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1950. -. 13 November.
<S4>Monograph: Lewton-Braine, C. H. 1967. The Archaeology of Heacham and the adjoining areas. p 4.
<S5>Illustration: Lewton-Braine, C. H. ?1951. Sketches of three Neolithic leaf-shaped flint arrowheads from Heacham. Paper. None.
<S6>Monograph: Wymer, J. J. and Bonsall, C. J. (eds). 1977. Gazetteer of Mesolithic Sites in England and Wales with a Gazetteer of Upper Palaeolithic Sites in England and Wales. Council for British Archaeology Research Report. No. 20. p 206.
<S7>Archive: R. Jacobi. -. Jacobi Archive. 776.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service