Record Details

NHER Number:14173
Type of record:Monument
Name:Post medieval brickworks and building fragments


The site of a post medieval brickworks, which continued in use until World War Two. The site was levelled and built over in 1967. Digging in 2004 uncovered large 19th century stone architectural fragments, including parts of stone arches. These are probably the remains of Bawdeswell church (NHER 7216), dumped here when the ruins of the church were cleared for rebuilding work in 1952.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 0312 2548
Map Sheet:TG02NW

Full description

Disused by 1920, but still fired twice a year by an old man. (S1).
Originally site established by [1] who moved from NHER 13807. If this information is correct, he must have taken over an old site, as this is marked as a kiln on (S2). A post mill (NHER 17898) stood here until 1843, but it is not marked on (S3) or on (S4).
Information from Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society (NIAS), and [2].
E. Rose (NAU), 2 February 1982.

The above details of the brickworks are corrected on the NIAS fiche, there was confusion with NHER 13807. The brickworks continued to work until World War Two; they produced tiles also and were owned by Longs and by Blyth and Stolworthy. The pits were levelled in 1967 and the present house made from a drying shed, old tiles being tipped to make a firm floor; there were two kilns to the north.

In digging on site of former pits, architectural fragments found. Several huge arch segments up to 400 by 550 by 200mm of smooth white stone with assembly numbers and lead clamps. Massive window jambs. Marble polygon 330mm in diameter (yet sides not of equal length) with varying fleurons, resembling colonettes or font base. Two sections of smooth stone, one 350 by 400mm and one 490 by 380mm each three sided and with a nick out of a fourth side as if for an attached colonettes, clamped with lead, possibly capitals. All this seems 19th century. Very probably the remains of the 19th century Bawdeswell church (NHER 7216) dumped when ruins cleared for rebuilding 1952.
E. Rose (NLA), 1 September 2004.

(S5) and (S6) in file.
6 September 2004.

Monument Types

  • BRICKWORKS (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TILE WORKS (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Fiche: Exists.
<S1>Monograph: Norfolk W.I.. 1971. Within living memory: a collection of Norfolk reminiscences..
<S2>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch..
<S3>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1836. 1st edition OS.
<S4>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.
<S5>Photograph: McNair, Dr.. 2004. Stone fragments.
<S6>Map: McNair, Dr.. 2004. Foulsham Brick Yard 1830 to 1950s.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service