|Type of record:||Building|
Green Farm dates to around 1575, with two groups of large octagonal chimneys. Unsually the entrance to the porch is from the side, under a stone or rendered pedimented doorway. Interestingly, in World War Two a water pump behind the house was converted to a Lewis gun post.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2410 3604|
|Parish:||THORPE MARKET, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
1978. Site visit.
South front of flint with brick trimmings, two stepped gables with smaller stepped porch tower between; unusually, entrance to porch is from side under stone or rendered pedimented doorway. Brick circular window to south. Windows under gables on three storeys, but top ones blocked, only brick pediments remain. The pedimented windows on the western of these gable walls have been recently reopened. Whole is around 1575, but is only one bay deep; stepped gables on north also at junction with larger part of house, which has illegible date plaque on north gable, and appears later. But two groups of large octagonal chimneys, recently restored, sit across join. So is this an addition of soon afterwards, around 1600, which would suit the chimneys equally as well; or is the north section older, but recased? Stepped gables at junction would be odd then.
E. Rose (NAU), 9 October 1978.
In World War Two a water pump behind house was converted to a Lewis gun post.
See newspaper cutting in file (S1).
E. Rose (NAU), 15 June 1982.
Listing Grade II 1988 states that gabled sections each side of porch project slightly to give E-plan. Dates as early 17th century, refaced in 19th. Rear wing is dated as late 17th century, added over an existing external gable stack of older block. Interior stated to have many ovolo and stop moulded doorframes and one original stone fireplace with Tudor roses.
E. Rose (NAU), 9 August 1989.
UEA survey of farm buildings in file describes barn and other buildings, dated only as pre 19th century, but adds the interesting note that the house was described as 'partly in ruins' in the 1919 sale catalogue.
E. Rose (NLA), 19 July 1993.
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- GUN EMPLACEMENT (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 691. |
|---||Publication: Willins, E.P. (ed. By Thos. Garratt). 1890. Some Old Halls and Manor Houses in the County of Norfolk.. Pl 49. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1982. Weybourne in wartime. 14 June. |
|<S2>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. |
Related records - none
Find out more...