Record Details

NHER Number:13952
Type of record:Monument
Name:Possible medieval watermill


Excavations in 1978, 1979 and 1980 recorded a clay floor, a wall of unmortared chalk blocks on a massive carstone foundation and a building that was interpreted as a medieval watermill.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 7045 3638
Map Sheet:TF73NW

Full description

Summer 1978. Two small trenches dug by Quaker camp.
Clay floor found with 16th century pottery below.
Also found one Ipswich? ware sherd, brick and plaster fragments.
Much medieval sherds.
Information from P. Wade-Martins (NAU) and [1].

Summer 1979/80. Further excavations. Field called Le Vicaridge in 1501.
Wall of unmortared chalk blocks on massive ironstone foundation, about 21.35m (70 feet) long. On natural at 1.35m (4 feet 6 inches) were brick and tile fragments, slag?, antler tine tool (very worn), Grimston-Thetford sherds some with applied thumbstrips including one small rim. The wall was just south of these and was around 60cm (2 feet) wide.
South of this was the river - wall had no returns.
W. Milligan (NCM), 8 October 1980.

1981. Further excavation of building - a water mill?
Thetford and Ipswich ware above.
See (S1) in file.
P. Wade-Martins (NAU), 15 October 1981.

Monument Types

  • WALL (Unknown date)
  • WATERMILL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FLOOR (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • BRICK (Undated)
  • TILE (Undated)
  • POT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
  • POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Unpublished Document: 1981. Sedgeford - Visit by P. Wade-Martins. 2 October.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service