|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||1 to 5 High Street|
A late 16th- or early 17th-century building that was probably once all one structure but is now divided into two. The building has a vaulted cellar, wooden mullion and transom windows with leaded panes and it incorporates reused medieval stonework that may have come from Langley Abbey.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 3623 9865|
|Parish:||LODDON, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
1 to 5 High Street.
September 1960. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description excerpt - 1 High Street:
"Offices, late 16th/17th century. Probably originally one with No. 3 adjoining. Rubble with dressed stone quoins and brick coping to gable ends. Very steep gable ended roof with black glazed pantiles. Two storeys and attic. End facing road, ground floor two windows, first and attic floors one window, renewed four and six-light wood mullion/transom windows with leaded panes, all in chamfered stone openings. Four and six-light windows on left hand return. Range to right recessed, plastered, pantile roof, ground floor later doorway with glazed door, first floor three-light moulded mullion window with leaded panes."
Listing Description excerpt - 3 and 5 High Street:
"Restaurant with accommodation over, late 16th century. Probably originally one with No. 1 adjoining. Stuccoed brick. Steep pantile roof with brick coped gable ends, south gable end with moulded brick finial. Two storeys. Two windows. First floor two sashes with glazing bars. Ground floor good mid-19th-century shop window with pilasters and entablature with cornice, central glazed door and moulded mullions to flanking windows. Large brick chimney stack over north gable end with terracotta coat of arms. Small three-light moulded mullion window at rear. To right (south) 19th-century wing rubble ground floor brick above, pantile roof with gable ends, two storeys, ground floor four-light mullion/transom window with hood on brackets, no first floor window to front. Interior of main building: wide moulded wood four-centred arch fireplace with carved spandrels."
Information from (S1).
Please consult the National Heritage List for England (S1) for the current listing details.
P. Watkins (HES), 12 December 2021.
No.1. Former Institute (present use not clear, apart from RC Chapel on Sundays). 17th century flint with random brick, stone quoins, in contrast to local brick houses. Tall (3 storeys) and narrow with wooden mullioned windows.
Visited by E. Rose (NAU) 19 July 1978.
(S1), Grade II, dates to late 16th/17th century and notes all windows in stone surrounds (is stone reused medieval?).
Adjacent Nos 3 and 5 originally part of same house. Large brick chimney with coat of arms. Small three light moulded mullioned window at rear. 19th century shop fronts and south wing.
E. Rose (NAU) 27 November 1989.
Architects plans (1997) in file, see (S2).
Report (S3) for adjacent site NHER 35110 confirms the stone detailing is reused medieval, also states the building has a vaulted cellar.
E. Rose (NLA) 21 March 2000.
- CELLAR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- (Former Type) LABOUR EXCHANGE (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1540 AD to 2100 AD)
- (Former Type) SHOP (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- Listed Building
- Listed Building
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, B. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 526-527. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. List Entries 1169590 and 1050508. |
|<S2>||Drawing: Various. Various. Architectural plans. |
|<S3>||Unpublished Contractor Report: Hutcheson, A. 2001. Report on an Archaeological Evaluation at Land Off No.1 High Street, Loddon. Norfolk Archaeological Unit. 485. |
Related records - none
Find out more...