Record Details

NHER Number:13872
Type of record:Building
Name:Bugdon House

Summary

An early 18th century red brick house with a late medieval to 16th century timber framed wing to the rear, now encased in early 18th century brick. The house contained original wall paintings, which have now been lost, and late 18th century Chinese-style wallpaper, fragments of which have been preserved.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TM 3615 9879
Map Sheet:TM39NE
Parish:LODDON, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Bugdon House.

September 1951. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description excerpt:
"House, early 18th century. Red brick. Steep black glazed pantile roof with coped gable ends. Two storeys...Off-centre right pilastered doorcase with open pediment, semi-circular fanlight...String course at floor level rises over doorway and brick corner pilasters. At rear, wing, late medieval or 16th-century timber frame encased in early 18th-century red brick, with steep pantile roof with coped gable end, two storeys and attic. Brick chimney stacks."
Information from (S1).
Please consult the National Heritage List for England (S1) for the current listing details.
P. Watkins (HES), 11 December 2021.

About 1700, 2 storeys, 6 bays (several windows blocked). Inserted Georgian doorcase over which central string course now rises. Gable wall has three windows on each storey, the outer ones being blocked or false. Red brick.
Visited by E. Rose (NAU), 19 July 1978.

Has original wallpaintings and early Chinese wallpaper.
Early Chinese wallpaper in far corner of room on left upon entry, and paintings on reverse of this wall in kitchen, large blue birds; possibly since destroyed.
P. Williams (NAU), 19 January 1985.

Building was shown in repairs to have timber frame with wattle and daub fill.
Wallpaper dated to 1776 to 1780, London manufacture.
Owner reports wallpaintings faded away but he has photos.
Fragments of wallpaper preserved in glass frame.
18th century coins, wooden animals and apothecaries bills also found.
E. Rose (NAU), 24 January 1985.

[1] reports rear wing, could be 17th century, once with separate roof from early 18th century block, which now overlays it. The wallpaintings, shown in photos to be line drawings of flowers etc. have been destroyed by artificial blackening of studs. Fragments of the wallpaper are also in Strangers Hall Museum.
E. Rose (NAU), 1 March 1985.

(S1), Grade II 1988, states that the rear wing is late medieval or early 16th century and has a timber frame.
E. Rose (NAU), 9 August 1989.

The location of this record has been corrected. Originally it was mapped as a point at TM 3615 9880, which placed it on No. 7 Bridge Street - a building subsequently recorded separately as NHER 44554.
P. Watkins (HES), 12 December 2021.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • COIN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TOY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WALL PAINTING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, B. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 525.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2012. 17thC townhouse oozes charactor and history. 4 May.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1050535.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2023 Norfolk Historic Environment Service