|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||St John's Chapel, George Lane|
A red brick and terracotta Methodist chapel dated 1893. At the east end the chapel has two octagonal turrets and a large Perpendicular window. The other windows are all arched, and the chapel has ornate cast iron railings and gates.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 3609 9881|
|Parish:||LODDON, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
February 1977. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description excerpt:
"Methodist Church including railings and gates to south-east. Non-conformist church, dated 1893. Red brick and terracotta. Slated gable ended roof. Perpendicular. East end (ritual west) centre projects with two tall octagonal turrets with ogee-domed pinnacles and large five-light Perpendicular window between with ogee-headed moulded brick doorway underneath...To south-east along road, low area wall with ornate cast iron railings and gates with ogee-shaped overthrow."
Information from (S1).
Please consult the National Heritage List for England (S1) for the current listing details.
P. Watkins (HES), 11 December 2021.
Methodist church and school 1887 to 1889, red brick and terracotta Gothic Revival front to east with ogee door and two tall angled pinnacle shafts.
Visited by E. Rose (NAU), 19 July 1978.
However (S1), says church is dated 1893.
E. Rose (NAU), 9 August 1989.
Drawings of ornate iron railings and proposals for alteration in file, see (S2).
E. Rose (NLA), 5 February 2004.
The original brick chapel built in 1835 remains to the rear of the current chapel although has been heavily altered and was converted into a school room in 1893 when the later chapel to the east was built. This later chapel is in a late-Gothic style, constructed of red brick with sandstone dressings. The east front is gabled and divided into three bays by tall octagonal buttresses, rising to ogee-topped stone cupolas and has a large five-light window above the central entrance. The interior has a single gallery with lobby below.
Information from (S3).
M. Langham-Lopez (HES), 22 October 2012.
- GATE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- RAILINGS (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WALL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- NONCONFORMIST CHAPEL (19th Century to 21st Century - 1893 AD to 2100 AD)
- SCHOOL (19th Century to 21st Century - 1893 AD to 2100 AD)
- WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL (19th Century to 21st Century - 1893 AD to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1373160. |
|<S2>||Illustration: Unknown. 2003. Drawings. |
|<S3>||Monograph: Stell, C. 2002. Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses in Eastern England. p 251. |
Related records - none
Find out more...