Record Details

NHER Number:13760
Type of record:Building
Name:Old School


A 19th century Gothic style schoolhouse, of red brick with a bellcote, finials and ornamental ridge tiles. The building has now been convered to residential use, and has a large added dormer window.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 1301 1683
Map Sheet:TG11NW

Full description

This school building has been converted into a house.
It is a gothic style, red brick structure with window tracery, a bellcote, finials, and ornamental ridge tiles. A large dormer has now been added in the roof. Comparison with a similar lodge (NHER 13761) may date it to the 1830s.
E. Rose (NAU) 14 June 1978.

A prefabricated conservatory was added to the façade at some date after 1978 and before May 1989.
which spoils the appearance but should be removable without any damage to fabric.
E. Rose (NAU), 15 May 1989.

The school house was designed by the same architect as the lodge and Ringland and Wroxham schools, built by a Mr. Keaton, though likely of a somewhat later date.
E. Rose (NAU), 18 April 1997.

15 October 1993. NLA air photography.
The building is visible in aerial photos.
H. Clare (NLA), 19 February 2001.

10 April 1998. Press article.
Further description of the building is included in a press article.
Information from (S1).
H. Hamilton (NLU), 23 November 2007.

September 2010. Building survey.
This ornate single-room school was constructed around 1870. There is some confusion about the architect of this building, with him being listed as Robert Kalton (see S2), but more probably called Robert Kitton. It is possible that this school had been converted to a private home as early as 1947.
See (S3) for further details.
A. Cattermole (HES), 24 January 2011.

Monument Types

  • SCHOOL (19th Century to Mid 20th Century - 1870 AD? to 1947 AD?)
  • HOUSE (Mid 20th Century to 21st Century - 1947 AD? to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1998. [Sale advertisement for ST John's Hall, Attlebridge]. 10 April.
<S2>Directory: White, W.. 1845. White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Norfolk.
<S3>Unpublished Document: UEA Schools Survey. 2010. Norfolk Rural Schools Survey Form. Attlebridge.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service