Record Details

NHER Number:13756
Type of record:Monument
Name:Gay and Wilson's Tramway, Grimston Warren


A post medieval tramway which took sand from Grimston Warren to Bawsey. The tramway closed in 1905. It was surveyed during the Grimston Warren (West) Archaeological Earthwork Rapid Identification Survey in 2007.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 6804 2146
Map Sheet:TF62SE

Full description

Sand from Grimston Warren taken to Bawsey Siding.
Closed after 1905.
Information from (S1) but the grid references in this article are taken from a one-inch map.
(S2) shows a tramway diverging from the main railway at TF68162106, running north to a strange kink (reversing spur?) then dividing, one branch to the northeast to a set of sidings in a sand pit, a longer branch to the northwest to another pit at TF 6788 2188. Given the date it seems probable this is the correct line of Gay and Wilson’s rather than being a different tramway.
E. Rose (NLA), 5 January 2007.

March 2007. Walkover Survey.
Archaeological Earthwork Rapid Identification Survey. Grimston Warren (West), Site 9:
See report (S3) for expanded analytical description.
J. Allen (NLA), 3 July 2007. Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 11 August 2015.

Monument Types

  • TRAMWAY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Higher Level Stewardship

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S1>Article in Serial: Fisher, C. 1978. The Narrow Gauge Tramways of Norfolk. Journal of the Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society. Vol II No 3 pp 36-41. p 40.
<S2>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1883. First edition six inch map.
<S3>Unpublished Contractor Report: Cushion, B. 2007. Grimston Warren (West). Archaeological Earthwork Rapid Identification Survey. Brian Cushion Archaeological & Cartographical Surveyor.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service