|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Mesolithic and medieval to post-medieval finds|
In 1978 a Mesolithic flint tranchet axehead was recovered from the surface of a ploughed field here. Metal-detecting in 2014 recovered medieval coins as well as a medieval book clasp and medieval/post-medieval knife end cap.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 47 19|
|Parish:||SOMERTON, GREAT YARMOUTH, NORFOLK|
1978. Stray Find.
Found by  on ploughed surface:
1 Mesolithic flint tranchet axehead, brown flint. See sketch (S1).
Information from (S2).
Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 8 April 2014.
September-October 2014. Metal-detecting. Site extended to whole field. .
2 medieval coins and a book clasp.
Medieval/post-medieval knife end cap.
Information from PAS import.
A. Beckham (HES), 3 November 2014.
- FINDSPOT (Mesolithic - 10000 BC to 4001 BC)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- TRANCHET AXEHEAD (Mesolithic - 10000 BC to 4001 BC)
- COIN (13th Century - 1300 AD to 1300 AD)
- COIN (14th Century - 1302 AD to 1303 AD)
- BOOK FITTING (14th Century to 15th Century - 1375 AD to 1425 AD)
- KNIFE (15th Century to 16th Century - 1500 AD to 1600 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Illustration: Gregory, T. 1978. Sketch of a Mesolithic flint tranchet axehead from Somerton. Card. 1:1. |
|<S2>||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
Related records - none
Find out more...