Record Details

NHER Number:13449
Type of record:Building
Name:Old House, Ranworth


The building here is marked as Ranworth Hall on the Ordnance Survey. It is a T-shaped, yellow brick house dating to 1754. The west facade has three bays, two storeys and the central bay projects slightly with a pediment and classical doorcase. The building has a stringcourse and some of the upper windows are blocked.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 3557 1507
Map Sheet:TG31NE

Full description

Ranworth Hall on Ordnance Survey.
T-shaped, yellow brick house. West facade of three bays, two storeys, central bay slightly projecting with pediment and classical doorcase. Two millstones set in path.
Rear wing of two storeys, divided by string course.
Some upper windows blocked.
Date plaque 1757 on chimney, reset but probably genuine.
Important showing late date of this style.
Visited by E. Rose (NAU) 24 January 1979.

1984 listing gives dates 1754 not 1757.

N.B. information for site NHER 14448 formerly wrongly given under this site.
This is marked as an antiquity on new issue of Ordnance Survey 2.5in map (date unknown - fragment used for planning application).
Confusion again with site NHER 14448?
E. Rose (NAU) 17 March 1986.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (18th Century to 21st Century - 1754 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • MILLSTONE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TG 3515D.
---Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 31 NE 14.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 643.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service