|Type of record:||Monument|
The flint and mortar base of a medieval stone cross, marked on old maps as Kerdiston Cross.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 0922 2392|
|Parish:||REEPHAM, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
Masonry seen in hedge in 1930s.
Marked on (S2).
Grid reference corrected by .
The remains consist of a mass of masonry, presumably the platform for the cross, with a wooden stake each side.
Is this the cross that was supposed to have been damaged by a lorry in about 1979?
E. Rose (NAU), 16 July 1981.
This feature, constructed of flint and mortar, was found by the landowner in its present position and cleaned in 1975. It is noted on the Kerdiston map of about 1600, and on tithe map of 1854; called Kerdiston Cross.
Ordnance Survey records.
R. J. Rickett (NAU), 4 June 1990.
- CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 02 SE 5. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Article in Serial: Cozens-Hardy B. 1934. Norfolk Crosses. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXV Pt II pp 297-336. p 317. |
|<S2>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
Related records - none
Find out more...