|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Medieval cross base|
A medieval cross base in the grounds of Hockwold Hall, see NHER 5472.
Images - none
Noted in (S1) together with its capital and suggested it came from the Drove Road. Base alone noted by (S2) when used to support flowerpot.
Now located under hedge at southwest corner of hall.
30cm high, 50cm square, plain stopangles.
Owner is considering moving it to a more visible position.
(S3) in file.
Visited by E. Rose (NAU) 17 February 1983.
- CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Newspaper Article: Clarke, W.G. (Norfolk News). 1923. [unknown]. 31 March. |
|<S2>||Article in Serial: Cozens-Hardy B. 1934. Norfolk Crosses. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXV Pt II pp 297-336. p 314; Pl 7. |
|<S3>||Photograph: CCY 8. |
|5472||Part of: Hockwold Hall (Building)|
Find out more...