|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of chapel of St Nicholas, Whitwell|
In the old Whitwell parish there was formerly a chapel of St Nicholas, belonging to Pentney Priory.
Images - none
|Parish:||REEPHAM, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
In the old Whitwell parish was formerly a chapel of St Nicholas, belonging to Pentney Priory. See (S1).
This is confirmed by (S2) who states (in 1719) that it was given to the priory by its founder. Henry VIII gave it to Townsend of Hackford, and he to the Dean and Chapter of Norwich.
E. Rose (NAU), 29 August 1980.
- CHAPEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Serial: Bryant, T. H.. 1898-1915. The Churches of Norfolk. Vols 1-19. Vols 1-19.. |
|<S2>||Documentary Source: Martin, T. c. 1700-1799. Collections of Church Notes. Norfolk Records Office. c. 1740. |
Related records - none
Find out more...