Record Details

NHER Number:13280
Type of record:Building
Name:Dovecot, formerly Dovecot Farm, Church Road


Dovecot is thought to date to 1598, and there is evidence of a large kitchen and plaster ceilings. Restoration took place in 1930 when a wing was also added, but the 16th century forecourt walls survive.


  • Dovecot, a mansion, dated to 1598, Wapole St Peter.  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service


Grid Reference:TF 5014 1690
Map Sheet:TF51NW

Full description

August 1951. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description:
Farmhouse. Late 16th century, restored 1930. Brick with pantiled roofs. F plan with twin cross wings now infilled. 2 storeys. South front on plinth course. 2 2-light cross casements to ground floor with leaded lights, 3 similar casements to first floor. Set-off between storeys. Gabled roof with ridge stack left of centre : square stepped plinth carries 4 octagonal flues with moulded capitals and bases. To west a projecting gabled cross wing, the gable head on kneelers. 5-light leaded cross casement to ground floor and one 2- light cross casement to first floor. East return to south range with 3 2- light casements arranged to sides and above a 4-centred door within square timber surround. West facade of 2 storeys in 3 bays. Central 4-centred door in doorcase of 2 orders shafts with deeply moulded arch. Above is square hood mould on labels raised in centre to accommodate plaque. This door restored. Fenestration of 2-light cross casements as before. Gabled roof. Internal north gable stack of square plinth carrying 2 octagonal flues with moulded capitals and bases. 2 storey 3 bay extension to north with 2-light cross casements. Interior. Dining room with chamfered bridging beams and joists. Panelled drawing room (in main west wing) with reeded and fluted Ionic pilasters framing fireplace and windows. Butted bridging beams and joists all chamfered. Dado panelled stairwell and closed string staircase of ball turned balusters.
Information from (S1).

Mansion, dated 1598.
Complex plan. Evidence of large kitchen and plaster ceilings. However most of interior as now visible, and all windows, dated from 1930 when also a wing was added.
Walled garden listed as 16th and 18th centuries but much altered.
Story of icehouse discovered.
See (S2) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 11 October 2004.

Monument Types

  • ICEHOUSE? (Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD?)
  • GARDEN WALL (16th Century to 21st Century - 1598 AD to 2100 AD)
  • HOUSE (16th Century to 21st Century - 1598 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Photograph: Ely and Wisbech Advertiser. 193. Ely and Wisbech Advertiser. 23 March.
---Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1991. Historic home's royal connection. 4 June.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2007. Property with a rich history to be sold. 30 May.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 748.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-[2000]. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service.
<S1>Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1237327.
<S2>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 2004. Building Report.. Building Report.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service