Record Details

NHER Number:13247
Type of record:Building
Name:Assembly Rooms


The Assembly Rooms were built between 1776 to 1778, facing west. In 1827 a four bay stuccoed south front was added by William Newham. The main room has partially pilastered walls and a 20th century ceiling.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 8192 0896
Map Sheet:TF80NW

Full description

Red brick, five bays, two storeys, three bay pediment.
(S1) and Kelly date to 1817, but the orders for the bricks are dated 1776-8.
Information from NCM Bolingbroke Collection.
1996 listing (S1) follows this dating with facade 'added 1817'.

Janurary 1973. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description:
1776-78, with south front added 1817 by William Newham. Repairs and alterations in 1950s. Red brick; roof of black-glazed pantiles. South front stuccoed. EXTERIOR: west front of one storey in a 5-window range. Central 3 bays broken forward and rebuilt in 1950s. Central 6-panelled door. Fenestration of 6/6 unhorned sashes under gauged skewback arches, those to centre 3 bays with segmental heads. Outer bays with original brickwork and dentil eaves cornice. Hipped roof. South front of one storey. 4 late C19 2-light casements to left set within early C19 moulded surrounds with hoods. Double-leaf C20 8-panelled door to right under 5-vaned fanlight and within rusticated arch. Plain parapet. Shallow gabled roof. INTERIOR: south door leads to wide entrance passageway and to reception room at right angles: 3 doorways with lugged surrounds. South windows have lugged internal surrounds. Suspended C20 ceiling. 3 folding doors lead to main assembly room lit from the 5 west windows, which have arched internal surrounds. Suspended C20 ceiling. Gallery at north end.
Information from (S1).

Architects plans (S2) in file.

February 2010.
The assembly rooms have undergone an extensive programme of repairs and refurbishment,
See (S3) for further details,
H. White, (NLA), 28 April 2010

Monument Types

  • ASSEMBLY HALL (18th Century to 21st Century - 1776 AD? to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 681.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1269613.
<S2>Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.
<S3>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2010. A town where history and innovation go hand in hand. 2 February.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2023 Norfolk Historic Environment Service