Record Details

NHER Number:13175
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of medieval moat at Scarning Hall


The site of a medieval moat, visible until the late 19th century when it was filled in. The house currently on the site is an 18th century two storey building with cellars and attic, rather dominated by a giant late 19th century south extension.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 9536 1222
Map Sheet:TF91SE

Full description

5 July 1978. Visit.
Rectory (Ordnance Survey).
Moat existed here until filled in in late 19th century.
Information from (S1).
E. Rose (NAU), 5 July 1978.

No trace of this now and owners do not know of it.
House now called Scarning Hall, Georgian with extension built for Dr Jessop to south.

Fragment of blue glass, fused by intense heat, about 15cm by 2.5cm (6 inches by 1 inch), found in garden by owners.

September 1986. Visit.
Original east-to-west house of two storeys and attic seems early Georgian, perhaps Queen Anne (flat-arched sash windows, parapet). Only two bays now project south of Dr Jessop's giant south extention of about 1890. Cellars seen under older house are typical 18th century and unremarkable. From top of church tower nothing resembling an
infilled moat seen.
E. Rose (NAU), 3 October 1986.

Monument Types

  • MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CELLAR (17th Century to 21st Century - 1700 AD to 2100 AD)
  • HOUSE (17th Century to 21st Century - 1700 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds


Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S1>Archive: Bolingbroke Collection.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2023 Norfolk Historic Environment Service