Record Details

NHER Number:13161
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of World War One hanger, Mann Egerton Garage, Cromer Road

Summary

A large wooden hangar was constructed on the Mann Egerton site in 1916. The company
manufactured Short bombers, Sopwith fighters and other aircraft until 1919. The site included a private airfield. The hangar was demolished in 1984.

Images

  • World War One hanger in Hellesdon  © Eastern Daily Press

Location

Grid Reference:TG 216 118
Map Sheet:TG21SW
Parish:HELLESDON, BROADLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

Building is in fact a camoflaged World War One hangar used when Mann Egerton's constructed aircraft and flew from a private landing ground here.
Information from Norfolk and Suffolk Aviation Museum
Camouflage paint survived until November 1979 when it was painted over.
Closed 1920. Airfield and factory covered 60 acres.
See (S1).
Demolished November 1984.
See (S2) in file.
E. Rose (NAU) 23 November 1984.

Constructed entirely from wood in 1916 by Mann Egerton engineers, it took only 2 months to build and become operational. The company was given a 'war loan' of £30,000 to aquire the 60 acres of land needed for the building and airfield. During its operation, the hangar saw the construction of short bombers, Sopwith fighters and sea planes. After the war it was used as a furniture factory and store by Mann Egerton until its demolition in 1984.
NIAS records (S3)
W. Arnold HES 17/01/11

Monument Types

  • AIRFIELD (Early 20th Century to 21st Century - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)
  • AIRCRAFT HANGAR (World War One - 1914 AD to 1918 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1995. Magnificent machines. 3 October.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Fiche: Exists.
<S1>Article in Serial: 1973. Airfields of Norfolk and Suffolk. Norfolk and Suffolk Aviation Museum. vol 4.
<S2>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1984. End of 'amazing building' behind a forecourt. 23 November.
<S3>Archive: NIAS. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Records.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service