|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Post medieval lime kiln opposite the Swan Inn|
This disused lime kiln was built between 1814 and 1846. It is an unusual type. The kiln is circular and the pot is funnel shaped. The lime chutes remain.
|Grid Reference:||TF 9999 2555|
|Parish:||GUIST, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Lime kiln, built between 1814 and 1846. Very good condition.
Information from .
In use as childrens bus shelter and much vandalised.
Information from .
January 1996. Visit.
The overall condition is still very good and the type is unusual. The kiln stands to one side of the former pit and a short tunnel from the latter gives direct access at passage level. The kiln is circular and the pot is funnel shaped; it contains rubbish but is still open. Lime chutes remain, some still with little piles of residue, and there may be other recesses in the passage face of the pot but lighting conditions were not ideal. The entrance from the pit is formed of flint faced with brick. Access to pot level is from the road and also via a ramp rising up from the north where there are other pits beyond the main pit, now overgrown with trees.
E. Rose (NLA), 8 January 1996.
1836 Robert Whistler is recorded as a lime burner at Guist. In 1854 William Mallon, victualler at the Swan Inn, is also recorded as a lime burner. Could these lime burners have used the lime kiln opposite Swan Inn?
M. Horlock (NLA), 6 March 2002.
For further information see list description.
Site is shown as pits on local maps from 1785. Site first shown with kiln on Tithe map 1846 (S3) and is still working by 1885 as shown on 6ins O.S. map (S4).
It is also noted in White's directory from 1836-1890 (S5) and in Kelly's Directory from 1896-1904 (S6).
NIAS records (S2)
W. Arnold (HES) 13/12/2010
- LIME KILN (Post Medieval to Modern - 1846 AD? to 1904 AD?)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1342560. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Document: Cooper, R. N.. 2002. The Limekiln at Guist. |
|<S2>||Archive: NIAS. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Records. |
|<S3>||Map: 1839. Tithe map. |
|<S4>||Map: Ordnance Survey, First Edition, 6 Inch. 1879-1886. Ordnance Survey 1st Edition 6 inch map.. |
|<S5>||Directory: White, W.. 1845. White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Norfolk. |
|<S6>||Directory: Kelly, E.. Kelly's Directory of Norfolk.. |
Related records - none
Find out more...