Record Details

NHER Number:12533
Type of record:Building
Name:College Farmhouse, Basil Road


An early 17th century timber framed house, one storey high with dormer attics, sandwiched between carrstone and flint gable walls added in 1626, the north gable having this date on it. The windows are 20th century replacements. The gault brick two storey west extension dates to 1900. Restoration work in the late 1990s revealed inglenook fireplaces and other original features.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 6532 0052
Map Sheet:TF60SE

Full description

May 1977. Visited.
Main building is timber framed with brick nogging; probably the oldest part, but each gable wall has lower courses of conglomerate and stone (reused?).
Upper part of south gable wall brick, 17th century, stepped gable with massive chimney.
North gable dated 1656, stepped, against chimney; two blocked slit-windows and two pairs blocked windows with brick-mullions.
Modern west wing. Very good condition.
E. Rose (NAU), 25 May 1977.

Listing Grade II 1985 (S1) dates to about 1600 and says date on gable is 1626 not 1656. West wing is of 1900, dated on stone with 'C & CC'.
E. Rose (NAU), 26 November 1985.

Press cuttings (S2) to (S3) in file.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1600 AD to 2050 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Post Medieval to Modern - 1600 AD to 2050 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 764.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1077750.
<S2>Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1994-1998. [Sale advertisements for College Farm].
<S3>Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1999. From Crow Hall to College Farm. 11 May.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service