Record Details

NHER Number:12527
Type of record:Building
Name:Manor House


This red brick house dates to 1722 and 1729. The latter date refers only to the brick facade; the earlier structure is of flint and carrstone. The building is L-shaped with a projecting section of four bays, two storeys and dormers, with a parapet and giant angle-pilasters. The north gable has an unusual very tall and narrow blocked window.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 6801 0163
Map Sheet:TF60SE

Full description

House, red brick, dated 1729 with 'ACM'. L-shaped: projecting section of four bays, two storeys and dormers, with parapet and giant angle-pilasters. Recessed portion of three bays, similar, with restored classical doorcase. North gable has unusual very tall and narrow blocked window, against angle pilaster - perhaps recent: and a slit which is the last vestige of the small gable windows of 17th century style. Very poor condition.
Visited by E. Rose (NAU) 25 May 1977.

Listing 1984 describes as The Manor House, now old persons' home. Dated 1722 as well as 1729. Latter date refers only to brick facade, earlier structure is flint and carrstone. Roof of black glazed pantiles. Date 1722 is below double gable on rear crosswing.
Architect's (S1) drawings in file.
E. Rose (NAU) 28 August 1985.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1722 AD to 2050 AD)
  • MANOR (Post Medieval - 1722 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1342338.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 759.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service