Record Details

NHER Number:12421
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of medieval market cross


The site of a 15th century market cross. The cross was pulled down in 1760, and no surface traces can be seen today. A war memorial stands on the site.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 0322 2497
Map Sheet:TG02SW

Full description

Site of 15th century market cross, said to have been made in imitation of an Eleanor cross. Pulled down 1760. Foundations visible in 1900.
Information from (S1).
War Memorial now stands on site. No traces of old work.
E. Rose (NAU), 21 January 1981.

June 1994. Salvage record in thunderstorm after workmen re laying Market Hill uncovered foundations, in fact just north of war memorial.
Three sides revealed; two splayed inwards to southwest and northwest, each one pace long; connecting them a north to south side three paces long.
Foundations, removed by machine, consisted of three rows of red bricks laid on flint and mortar foundations; in parts massive, over 1 m deep, in others no more than a skin under the bricks. Sides continue under tarmac road forming northeast side of triangle. Foundations rest directly on natural sand which 'within' and 'without' the enclosure is directly below tarmac. Bricks are not earlier than 18th century.
It is suggested that the area of the cross was marked out by bricks after its demolition in 1760 and this is what was seen in 1900. At the north end of the exposed area, three courses of bricks seemed to be set at an angle to the others, pointing in to the 'interior'; reason not apparent. Conditions made any proper record impossible.
The (S1) entry seems to have been taken directly from (S2) so it may be that the foundations were only visible in 1842 and not in 1900. (S2) states that hexagonal foundations were visible on frosty mornings and a 'recent' examination showed them to be partly of great antiquity, and partly of medieval brick. Were the brick footings discovered therefore inserted around 1840 rather than 1760?
Copy extract of (S2) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 3 June 1994.

Photographs of salvage recording (S2) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 16 October 2004.

Monument Types

  • MARKET CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Archive: Bolingbroke Collection.
<S2>Monograph: Quarles, T.. 1842. History and Antiquities of Foulsham.. pp 108-9.
<S3>Photograph: McNair, D.. 1994. [unknown].

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service