Record Details

NHER Number:11910
Type of record:Monument
Name:Possible site of medieval village of Ness, Decoy Farm


The lost settlement of Ness is mentioned in the Domesday Book. The settlement was formerly thought to be in Winterton or Caister on Sea, but detailed documentary research suggests that it was actually in the area around Decoy Farm in Mautby.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 4842 1087
Map Sheet:TG41SE

Full description

Village of Nessa mentioned in Domesday, quoted by (S1).
No other reference.
Site not known but presumably near Winterton Ness.
Information from (S2).

The Domesday vill was placed by Charles Green in Caister on Sea parish, though modern local historians suggest it may in fact have been an inland settlement at Mautby according to (S3).
E. Rose (NLA) 8 April 1999.

The modern historians quoted are in fact (S4) who says (S1)'s suggestion of Winterton seems to have been a guess and C. Green's suggestion of a peninsula north of Caister was a hypothesis. (S4) suggests Decoy Farm at Mautby was the site on documentary evidence, but there is no archaeological evidence.
E. Rose (NLA) 7 June 1999.

The post medieval lighthouse previously recorded under this number is now NHER 44513.
S. Spooner (NLA) 9 May 2006

Monument Types

  • DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S1>Serial: Blomefield, F.. 1805-1810. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk.. Volume Unknown.
<S2>Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 42 SE 2.
<S3>Serial: Sandred, K.. 1996. The Placenames of Norfolk.. Vol 2.
<S4>Article in Serial: Cornford, B. 1998. The Lost Domesday Vill of Ness. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIII Pt I pp 168-172.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service