Record Details

NHER Number:11730
Type of record:Building
Name:Ebridge Water Mill


There has probably been a water mill here since the time of the Domesday Book of 1086, and there was certainly one here in the 16th century. The present main building is a three storey five bay affair with a central corrugated stackhoist. To the east of this is a single storey granary and the canal lock. To the west is a modern loading bay. Across the road to the north is a picturesque mill pond, now sadly rather overgrown. The mill finally closed down in 1998 and currently stands empty. Plans for its future development are pending, but at the moment the only commercial activity on site is an animal feed business run from a separate ancillary building to the west.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 3109 2972
Map Sheet:TG32NW

Full description

Called Eastgate Mill on (S1).
Norfolk Heritage suggest this was the site of the North Walsham Mills mentioned in Domesday Book.
If present name is the correct one, this would support this; Ebridge is 'at the bridge' in Old English.
E. Rose (NAU).

Certainly there was a mill here in the 16th century.

February 1981. Visit.
Present building of five bays, three storeys, central sackhoist formerly weatherboarded now clad in corrugated iron.
Contemporary long single storeyed building to east.
On west a modern extension has replaced tall chimney shown on Norfolk Heritage photograph (S2) in file.
Still in use.
E. Rose (NAU), 4 February 1981.

Waterwheel removed in 1972. Information from Norfolk Industrial archaeology Society.
E. Rose (NLA), 5 September 2002.

For documentary research and photograph see (S3). Press cuttings (S4) and (S5) and planning application (S6) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 22 December 2005.

Finally closed down in 1998. Currently standing empty, but development proposals pending. The only activity on site apart from casual storage is an animal feed business run from an ancillary building to the west.
P. Aldridge (NLA), 24 November 1998.

Building probably dates from the early 19th Century - the associated canal was opened in the 1820s.
K Hamilton (HES) 10 December 2012

Monument Types

  • WATERMILL (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • WATERMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status


Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TG3129 A-H.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Fiche: Exists.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2015. Historic mill to enjoy a new lease of life. 23 January.
<S1>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.
<S2>Unpublished Document: Norfolk Heritage. Water Transport in Norfolk, site reference 14, Ebridge Mill..
<S3>Article in Serial: Manning, D.. 2005. Ebridge Mill.. NIAS Journal. Vol 7, no 5, pp 46-58.
<S4>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1996. Blaze at landmark home of feed firm. 28 February.
<S5>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1999. Villagers object to plan for old mill. 22 April.
<S6>Unpublished Document: Cubitt and Walker. 1991. Planning Application. 15 February.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service