Record Details

NHER Number:1131
Type of record:Building
Name:Cross Keys Hotel, Market Place


A two storey former hotel and public house. The rear is 17th century, the main cement rendered front range 19th century. The building was derelict and scheduled for demolition in 1975, but has since been gutted to make a supermarket.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 2836 3019
Map Sheet:TG23SE

Full description

Possibly medieval interior. Recorded by Royal Commission for Historic Monuments (RCHM). Intended for demolition and
rebuilding 1974. S. Dunmore April 1974.

Not yet demolished but derelict. From the outside it appears 17th century with a stepped gable, and a 19th century front.
E. Rose (NAU), 29 July 1975.

This building has been repainted and is now offered for sale.
E. Rose (NAU), 16 September 1976.

RCHM survey, in files, says rear is 17th century but main building is 19th century imitating 17th century. Locally known as 'House of Commons' (King's Arms was 'Lords').

Reconstruction 1981; from outside, it seems as if all the woodwork in interior was 19th century.
RCHM report (S1), architectural plans (S2) and press cuttings (S3) and (S4) in file.
E. Rose (NAU), 5 October 1981.

Monument Types

  • INN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • INN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 627.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Richmond, H. and Taylor, R.. 1973. Building Survey. September.
<S2>Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.
<S3>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1981. Approval for listed building's demolition. 15 August.
<S4>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1982. Woolworth's scheme wins award.. 18 September.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service