Record Details

NHER Number:11095
Type of record:Monument
Name:St Peter's Church, Needham


This church has a Late Saxon or Norman round tower. The top of the tower was extended with Tudor brick and in the 19th century battlements were added to the top. The red brick south porch was probably built in the 16th century whilst the short red brick chancel was built in 1735. Inside the late 15th century bench ends include one with the inscription 'Use wel thy tyme for deth is comyng M. The sentence of God Allmighty is everlastyng E'.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TM 2310 8191
Map Sheet:TM28SW

Full description

1464 bequest to tower.
1469 to 1470 to porch.
Information from [1].
E. Rose (NAU).

Details of drain repairs 2000 in file.
See (S1).
E. Rose (NLA).

Norman round tower with polygonal top of Tudor brickwork and 19th century crenallations. Brick 16th century south porch. Freizes of moulded brick. Short chancel of 1735, windows altered 1884. Perpendicular nave roof. Bench ends late 15th century one back with an inscription 'Use wel thy tyme for deth is comyng M. The sentence of God Allmighty is everlastyng E'. Churchyard wall is late 16th century red brick.
Information from (S2).
M. Dennis (NLA), 20 July 2006.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1899. Hundred of Earsham. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol III. pp 46-51.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Website: Knott, S.. 2005. St Peter, Needham. 20 July 2006.
---Leaflet: Richard E Emms. 1977. Parish Church of St Peter, Needham.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Correspondence: Rose, E. and Tyrell, R.. 2000. Needham church storm drains.
<S2>Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 557.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service