Record Details

NHER Number:10972
Type of record:Building
Name:The Hall, Station Road, Pulham Market


Former home of the Percy family, the Hall is basically Elizabethan in date although it has undergone some 18th century rebuilding. An east to west brick house in structure, the Hall has a three storey porch tower to the north, with a stepped gable and two rebuilt octagonal chimneys.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TM 1885 8574
Map Sheet:TM18NE

Full description

Former home of the Percy family.

4 June 1980. Visited by E. Rose.
Basically Elizabethan. East to west brick house with three storey porch tower to north with stepped gable. Two rebuilt octagonal chimneys. At southeast corner a wing projects south having stepped gable and two brick mullioned and transomed windows in it, one above the other, upper one blocked. Four windows in this wing's east wall, all altered but basically original. The east to west block however has had the windows in its south wall bricked up and replaced by 18th century sash windows; dentilled cornice added round eaves. This is probably the '18th century rebuilding' mentioned by (S1). At east end, three bay two storey white brick block added early in 19th century. Long straight and deep pond to southeast looks very much part of a moat.

Monument Types

  • GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • MOAT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, B. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 593-594.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Post-Medieval. Pulham Market.
<S1>Serial: Bryant, T. H.. 1898-1915. The Churches of Norfolk. Vols 1-19. Vols 1-19..

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service