|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||St Michael's Church, Geldeston|
A 12th century and later church. The building consists of a round west tower, nave, chancel, south porch, north transept and vestry. Construction is of flint, some knapped, and limestone dressings. The oldest part of the building is the 12th century round tower, though this was refaced, given a new top, and had a new window inserted in the 19th century. The rest of the church is 14th and 15th century, though much remodelled in the late 19th century, when the chancel was rebuilt and the north transept added. The 15th century south porch has the Instruments of the Passion and the emblem of the Trinity in its entrance arch, and a shield in a niche above. Inside is a 15th century carved font, inscribed with its donor's names, interesting interior architecture and a staircase to the old rood loft.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 3947 9228|
|Parish:||GELDESTON, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Round tower; church 14th to 15th century and 1864. Possible Roman tile; medieval urn found in chancel wrongly called Roman.
See report (S1) in file. Listed (S2).
E. Rose (NAU), 3 August 1977.
September 1960. Listed, Grade II*
Parish church. C12 and later, much remodelled in C19. Flint with limestone dressings. Slated roofs; porch plain-tiled. West tower, nave, chancel, south porch, north transept and vestry. Round west tower, the upper stage rebuilt with gault brick dressings and castellated parapet. C19 west window. South porch C15 with plinth of slate panels in limestone dressings. Diagonal staged buttresses with flushwork panels to south gable. Doorway with attached polygonal shafts; arch with square dripmould; shields in spandrels. Niche above arch with crocketted pinnacles and shield with arms below pedestal. Two windows in south wall of nave, 2-light with Perpendicular tracery, one possibly an original. Stilted hood moulds with headstops over window
openings; staged buttresses between bays.
Chancel of 1864: paired lancets with quatrefoil heads, arched and cusped transoms. Scalloped eaves course. Parapeted gable with cross-finial at apex. Rood stair projection at south- east corner of nave. Gableted clasping-buttresses at east gable. C19 3-light east window. Lean-to vestry on north side of chancel with 3-light segmental headed east window; tapering octagonal chimney stack at north-east corner. North gable of trancept has 4-light window with small curved triangular window above. 2-light C19 -Perpendicular window in east wall, doorway central in west wall. North wall of nave has C15 2-light window with headstops. North doorway flanked by staged buttress. Interior: scissor-braced roof to nave, principals have arch-braces on wallposts with head-corbels. Brattished cornice. Rood stair at south-east corner of nave. C14 tower arch with engaged shafts and triple-chamfered arch. Twin-arched opening to transept with central marble shaft on octagonal base; stiff-leaf capitals. C19 roof with arch-braced principals on head-corbels. Elliptical arched opening through to vestry in east wall. Chancel interior all C19: arch-braced roof on foliage corbels. Internal shafting to window openings. Font, octagonal, with lions around the stem and alternating roses and shields around the bowl; octagonal basestep with inscription.
Information from (S2).
October 2019. Amendment.
The current Ordnance Survey MM and the Historic England Listing description (S2) give the dedication of this church as St Michael and All Angels. However, the Church Heritage Record (S3) states that the legal name as given by the Church Commissioners is Geldeston St Michael. The dedication of this church has been updated accordingly. However, local residents advise that it is currently know as St Michael and All Saints.
H. Hamilton (HES), 11 October 2019.
- CHURCH (Medieval to Modern - 1066 AD to 2050 AD)
- ROUND TOWERED CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FONT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WINDOW (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Website: Archbishops' Council. 2014-2019. Church Heritage Record. https://facultyonline.churchofengland.org/churches. Record 626347. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: TM 3992A,B. |
|---||Article in Serial: Plunkett, G. A. F. 1979. Norfolk Church Screens - 1865 Survey. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXVII Pt II pp 178-189. p 182. |
|---||Map: Bryant, A.. 1826. Bryant's Map of Norfolk. |
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TM 39 SE 18. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 356. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. 1962. North-West and South Norfolk. The Buildings of England. 1st Edition. p 170; Pl 47b. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Geldeston. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1977. Building Report.. Building Report. |
|<S2>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1153255. |
Related records - none
Find out more...