|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of Caister White Mill and later steam engine house|
This is the site of a drainage mill, marked on Bryant's map of 1826 as Caister White Mill. The mill was replaced by a steam pump in the 1860s. This has in turn been replaced by an electrically powered pump.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 5057 0954|
|Parish:||WEST CAISTER, GREAT YARMOUTH, NORFOLK|
Wind pump on (S1).
E. Rose (NAU)
(S2) gives description of a steam pump in this approximate location said to have dated from the 1860s, now destroyed and replaced by electric pump. But not certain that this was on this site, possibly the building marked on Ordnance Survey a hundred yards or so to the west.
E. Rose (NLA) 9 January 1998.
Marked as Caister White Mill on (S3).
E. Rose (NLA), 6 June 2002.
August 2007. Watching brief as part of Broadland flood alleviation project.
The mill was revealed in plan. Further details to follow.
A. Cattermole (NLA), 28 August 2007.
- DRAINAGE MILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- ENGINE HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- PUMPING STATION (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch.. |
|<S2>||Article in Serial: Ward, J.. 1997. Smoke Drifting Over the Reeds.. NIAS Journal. Vol 6, no 2, p 46. |
|<S3>||Map: Bryant, A.. 1826. Bryant's Map of Norfolk. |
Related records - none
Find out more...