|Type of record:||Building|
An 18th century weatherboarded watermill with an attached early 19th century miller's house. The mill was converted in steam in the 1880s, and the steam engine house with a tapering brick chimney stands to the rear of the mill and some of the machinery is still in place in the interior of the mill. The mill was restored and converted into a restaurant in the 1980s.
|Grid Reference:||TM 3612 9901|
|Parish:||LODDON, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
February 1977. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description excerpt:
"Water mill and miller's house, 18th and early 19th century. Weatherboarded with gable ended pantile roofs. South part three storeys and attic, north two storeys and attic. Horizontal pivot windows with glazing bars. Single plank doors to ground and first floors. On north end ground and first floor door with gabled lift projecting over with hatch on underside and weatherboarded hoist to side. All gables have shaped barge boards. Said to contain mill machinery.
Millhouse adjoining south: early 19th century, ground floor painted brick, above stuccoed. Pantile roof with gable ends, two storeys and attic (attic windows in gable end), two windows, sashes with glazing bars in exposed cases. To right, blocked doorway with pilasters and entablature. Central brick chimney stack."
Information from (S1).
Please consult the National Heritage List for England (S1) for the current listing details.
P. Watkins (HES), 10 December 2021.
July 1978. Field Observation.
Visited by E. Rose (NAU).
19th century weatherboarded; central section 3 storeys, to north 2 storeys with sackhoist.
2 bay 2 storey brick millers house on south with at rear tapering brick chimney as for steam engine.
Some restoration has begun on north, otherwise in poor condition.
E. Rose (NAU) 19 July 1978.
Information from  that this was Pye's Mill is incorrect.
See NHER 16288.
This mill not marked on (S2), although Listed as 18th century; house 19th century, see (S1).
Detailed history in (S3).
Restored as restaurant 1980; machinery still in position.
Waterwheel said to have been removed when steam installed 1888; reproduction now inserted.
See local press articles (S4) to (S6) in file.
E. Rose (NAU) 28 October 1985.
- MILL HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WATERMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Drawing: Various. Various. Architectural plans. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, B. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 525. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Fiche: Exists. |
|<S1>||Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1050498. |
|<S2>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch.. |
|<S3>||Archive: NIAS. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Records. |
|<S4>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1980. Food and arts in old mill. 19 August. |
|<S5>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1985. Mill ghosts a friendly pair. 26 October. |
|<S6>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1986. Local Landmarks. Loddon Watermill. 23 April. |
Related records - none
Find out more...