Record Details

NHER Number:10533
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of Stubbs Manor, The Lodge


The earthwork remains of a medieval moat, the east to west arm of which is still waterfilled. The moat may be the site of the medieval manor house known as Stubbs mentioned in early post medieval documents.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TM 3567 9775
Map Sheet:TM39NE

Full description

Moat (Ordnance Survey).
(S1) says no evidence for this, probably a pond.
Visited by E. Rose (NAU) 20 July 1978.

Certainly a moat, though probably always ornamental.
Long east to west rectangular pond, recently cleaned out and recut when 6ft of silt containing 19th century bottles was removed. West end widens into irregular pond, with possible traces of west arm running north. The interior south and west of the house now a landscaped garden.
Present house about 1780 but according to owners there are records of house on the site since 14th century, and old name was Moat Farm.
Possible site of Stubbs Manor mentioned in 1568.
See (S2) for more details.
E. Rose (NAU).

November 2000. Visit.
East to west arm of moat remains. Waterfilled aprox 80 to 90 metres long, 5 to 6 metres wide.
H. Paterson (A&E), 17 January 2001.

Monument Types

  • MANOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • MANOR HOUSE (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
  • MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TM 3597A.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Loddon.
<S1>Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TM 39 NE 9.
<S2>Monograph: Davison, A.. 1990. The Evolution of Settlement in Three Parishes in South-East Norfolk.. East Anglian Archaeology. Vol 49. p 49.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service