|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||St Ethelbert's Church, Mundham|
Only the ruined chancel of this medieval parish church is still standing, and the remains probably date from the 13th or 14th centuries. St Ethelbert's is recorded as having a Rector in 1305, but by 1593 it was served by a curate and the church was abandoned in 1749. Post medieval coins have been found in the churchyard during metal detecting.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 3317 9775|
|Parish:||MUNDHAM, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Ruins of St Ethelbert's Church, mentioned in 1224 and 1360.
In 1978 metal detecting found inside south churchyard wall sovereign penny of Henry VIII, first or second coinage (1509-1543). Episcopal mint of Durham, struck by Bishop Tunstall (c.1530 - 1550). Date of issue therefore about 1530 to 1543.
For Harborne grave 1617 and details see (S1).
Appropriate section of (S2) in file.
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- PARISH CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- COIN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. |
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TM 39 NW 3. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 551. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Mundham. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Article in Serial: 1984. [unknown]. Yarmouth Archaeology. Vol II, p 1. |
|<S2>||Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No 76; p 52. |
Related records - none
Find out more...